Tuesday 16 October 2012

Heartmate

The first week of my internship involves a lot of getting-to-know. I am fortunate enough to have learnt about heartmate from Dr Weiskopf. Heartmate basically is a device that help your heart ventricle to pump the blood. She also taught us about the artificial heart.

In Zenker itself we have patients wearing heartmate. I was always careful to not dislodge anything because heartmate includes thick tubes of blood.
One good thing is that you can be homebound eventhough you are lugging the device around (actually, it's a device plus machine so the size is quite something)
Anyway, there's such a case where a man took the chance and hook up with the prostitute.
I don't remember, but I think something from the device (the tubes maybe) came off.
He died that instant.
They all said that he died nicely.

I'd rather keep my opinion to myself but I'm taking note to tell any of my patient that has to go on with such a device to steer clear of intercourse.

No comments:

Post a Comment