Tuesday 11 September 2012

Cardiovascular Surgery

I was placed in this department for my clinical practise.
Got rather a lot from interning in this department.
The most bizarre one is the ability to stand in a meeting where everything is conducted in German.
It's rather difficult you know.
You don't know what the heck they are talking about. It doesn't help when I was the only person in the room who speaks no German. And then they laugh, and suddenly things went quiet. Whatever it is.
I was in the morning meeting almost everyday except on weekends and on the day I went to Legoland with the girls exceptional couple of days


I was placed in ward named Zenker.
For unknown reason they name the wards according to notable physicians.
And there's no room number 13 because they think 13 is a bad omen.
On my first day, I somehow ended up with Dr Julia Weiskopf.
She showed me around the ward, brought me to the underground to get my uniform (you can change it how many time you like.)
I got a name tag with famulantin written under my name.
On the first day I would advise you to get your doctor sit down and go through what you are supposed to do, what they can teach you, what you want them to teach you and what you can't do.
I didn't do that since the surgeons don't even have time to eat proper lunch but I highly urge you to do as suggested. I spent quite a number of days feeling like a parasite. Geez, one day I got really frustrated that I shut myself in the locker room and began drafting for blogpost.

I got in as some virgin in blood taking and setting the line.
I swear by the syringe that I am as nervous as I am going for my first exam in medical school the first time I went and took the blood independently.
By the second week, everyone knows the klein vampirette is here for their blood whenever I come into their room in the morning.
I owed Jasmin Wulf and Xavier Bemtgen for the skills. They are both supportive in their own ways.
I stupidly scrape my finger when I tried to get the butterfly needle from it's pack when rounding with Minchen.
And Bemtgen is so serene saying that the best vein is the easiest one to miss when you are attempting vigo on it. And pointing that I forgot to press on the vein before taking out the cap.
And not forgetting Dr Matthias and Dr Beatrice Reinisch for demonstrating vigo.

No comments:

Post a Comment