Tuesday 11 September 2012

German Housemates

I am lucky enough to get to live with the Germans.
Iva is a Freiburg native and like any other Freiburger is very proud of Dreisam river XD
Naturally for a guy, size does matter.
But Freiburger Iva retorted with "at least we have a river.and it's ours."

They tell me interesting facts about Black Forest
Do you know once upon a time, almost all Black Forest trees were cut down
That all the trees you see now is the effort of them to regrow the forest. That the trees planted are the types that grow fast.
Or do you know there's no bear in Black Forest and why?
Because the Germans kill them before they can kill the Germans
"How about wolves?", I asked.
"Maybe there's 4 or 5 of them and you'll have to be really really unlucky to meet them"
And that Schauinsland, which is 3 bits out of town means to look into the land. and how true that name stands.



I am all for recycling and practising it with ecoconscious housemates just make me happy.
Although I don't know if the feeling is mutual XD
There's a bin for biologic waste.
And I can get deposit from recycling the plastic bottles. If they practise this in Czech Republic, I'd hauled in hundreds of crowns already but the Czech is too proud of their status as no 1 beer drinker, so they only give deposit for glass bottles.
And 2 separate bin bags. Which I never figure out which is for which.
Chris told me that in Stuttgart, they even separate different type of papers.



Iva is allergic to all type of nuts and I never go a week without going nut.
And to remember how many times I offered her food with nuts : the stir fry veges with tofu, the pilaf with soybean.
Luckily we didn't need any epipen or resuscitation.

The breads!
Brotchen, bretzel.
They are as hard as the breads in Czech.
Iva told me how she missed the hard German bread when she was in America, the land full with soft, fluffy bread.
And I am all for our fluffy roti Benggali and fluffy breadloaf.
Chris knows a lot and really like to pass the knowledge around.
I never give a thought about the history of croissant.
Croissant is not French as I thought, but rather, is Austrian.

We were rather busy keeping out with our own activities.
The plan to play petanque never get executed but we went to a classic concert.
Chris loves classic music. He even brief me with the help of youtube about the piece.
And me, let's stick to the fact I do enjoy orchestra.
The main piece of the evening is "Pictures at an Exhibition" composed by Muggorsky.
As a matter of fact, Muggorsky lost his marbles sometime before he expired.
The ticket costed something around 8 Euro and BVMD paid for me (I am purposely telling you this *wink*)

Sometimes we eat together, which is very entertaining.
For I got to spoon out their salad+green olive/marvellous tomato salad/delish corn salad. God, the German does eat a lot of salad. It's a shame I wasn't able to dish out our marvellous kerabu for them.
And they on the other hand got to eat fiery chillies/chicken curry ala moi/the coconut coated sagu.

And we would be stuck to the tables discussing the different types of patriotisms in Germany.
On how the Berlin is poor but sexy.
Hijabs.
The pope, who happens to be from German.
Contraception. and if it's forbidden in our respective religions.
The Vatican scandals.
Arab Spring.
Aortic aneurysm.oh yes, we are medical students alright.
Chris working as ambulance driver.
And what does genau and scheiße means. because I hear them more than often.
It was Ramadhan the last 2 weeks of my stay. I shall write about it later.
And the original way to cheers

It was very comfortable living with them.
And how fun it was when 2 XXs teased the only XY.
And when Iva pulled out a pair of sandals from her handbag and we exchanged knowing look. Chris, who didn't get it said it awes him how girls can just understand each other without talking.
Iva can be more relaxed now that I am in league with her. What league you asked?
It's league of the ladies that almost killed Chris's treasured coffee plant.
I hope Chris can still get his coffee in Gdansk and Iva her tea in Italy. (Don't you think they should exchange their placement?The Italians do know how to make coffee)



No comments:

Post a Comment