Wednesday 19 September 2012

The Rights

Well, if you don't know, EU had this "bright" idea to upgrade the quality of chicken's rights.
That is they passed a law so that the chicken get to live in a better cage. It requires all commercial eggs to be hatched by chickens kept in “free-range barns or enriched cages".

which means, as soon as the law was enforced, the price of eggs went rocketing towards the blue,blue sky.
and it was enforced just sometime before Easter in Czech Republic.
Great timing no? actually no.it's horrible because I have yet to buy those Easter eggshells

Anyway, I am not so much into the modern animal rights.
Yeah, I am all for respecting animal but I treat chicken, cow, fish, crabs, goat like they should be.
I have no reserve to enjoy them in another form on my plate.
That is one of their function.
And so says me.

So when we went for my first grocery shopping in Germany, I notice that the eggs are fairly cheaper than their counterpart in Czech Republic.
So I asked Iva if they have increase in egg price too. and also giving my opinion about all the buzz
It's not that I forgot that Freiburger especially the students are ecoconscious.
I am one too.
It's just that I have no inkling that they are really really deep into it.
And so Iva says she has no problem spending a lil bit more if the chicken get to live more comfortably. or something like that.

I wish that I can live again in an environment that adopt recycling.

And I was raised in a village environment that picking fruits from trees and digging tapioca from the bush is ok.
In Czech Republic, the Czech even go out into the woods to hunt down the mushrooms.
So I asked Iva if it's ok to pick the fruit.
They've never tried it and highly recommended the ones from the supermarket.

You oughn't worry. Bought these from Lidl

 
It's really interesting to live and learn others way of thinking and culture. and I used to think Central Europe countries share many traits. How very wrong I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment