Sunday 30 September 2012

Veins, Needles and Such

Interning in a German hospital means unlimited opportunity to poke people.
Truthfully, before coming, I did only one venepuncture on a healthy young man. All thanks to the casted hand during our one month hematology practical in Physiology.

When I came to Germany, the doctor showed me briefly how to do it.
For the next few days, I did a few venepuncture supervised by Minchen.
And on the second week, Minchen is replaced by a no nonsense intern. "we'll divide the bloodtaking so that it'll not take long"

I went to prepare the basin, with my heart thumping.
By the time I was at the door, my hearing shut down.
Tourniquet on the arm. Disinfecting done. Preparing the needle and then poking.
The blood came in. Phew.
Then the second hardest thing has to be done ~changing the tube without having the needle out.
By the time I am done, I left an impression of the needle wings on the skin. at least no violet flower.

I missed the vein of second patient, twice.
Can't personally afford to do it the third time.
I was like a ghost poking people with cold hands.
But, no-nonsense intern, thank you, because at the end of that day, I am one confident klein vampirette. And Minchen, thank you. I couldn't do it without the basics.
No nonsense intern also put up with my numerous requests to be with me when I am doing vigo.
"Can you come and help me doing vigo?"
"But I've shown you twice"
You see that I don't casually call someone no nonsense. (And FYI, I am full of nonsense. Definitely a tybe B)
Anyway, I am glad that I insisted although I have to be thick skin. Because doing it supervised for few times is a bonus. You catch what should and should not be done once and for all.

After my second week
~ I even went to the ward for the sole purpose of taking blood before leaving for Europa park
~ the old woman who won't even look at me in the first few encounters accepted my visits. although I would not leave out that I prepare tissues to wipe off her tears and pat her. it is a personal satisfaction.
~ a man who initially wave at me when I was in the nurse station won't even look at me and let me take his blood after I did the unsuccessful vigo on him. I am sorry uncle, doesn't mean it. I guess we are both unlucky.

After my internship, my people watching hobby become more specific. In fact, when I was looking at a picture of wedding ring exchange, I was thinking, ahhh they've got nice vein. Vigo will not be a pain on the ass.


2 comments: